FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Where is your course approved in Canada?
Certificates of our course are currently accepted by all health departments in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia and New Brunswick. More provinces will be added shortly.
2. I live in Toronto. There is a bylaw here that states certified food handlers are to hold a food handler card issued by Toronto Public Health (TPH). Can I get a card issued by TPH if I take your course?
Yes! If you live in Toronto and you obtained your Food Handler Certification from us, all you have to do to comply with Toronto's bylaw requirements is apply for a card issued by Toronto Public Health. Here is the form you need. Please note: As of April 1st, 2017, Toronto Public Health has increased the cost of issuing their food handler cards to $22.60. Despite this added fee, it is still much cheaper for Toronto residents to certify through our online course.
3. How do I schedule my online exam with the live online proctor service?
When logged into the course, click the link under 'FINAL EXAM' and follow the 5-steps underneath. This link will take you to our partnered exam proctor website where you can schedule an exam appointment 24/7. Cost of the exam is included in the course fee as long as the exam is scheduled a minimum of 3-days in-advance.
4. I know it's free to take my exam with the live online proctor service if scheduled at least 3-days in-advance, but may I take the exam sooner?
Yes. If you'd like to take the exam sooner, a small convenience fee can be paid directly to the live online proctor service with credit card (i.e. $5 USD to schedule the exam an hour or more in-advance, or $8.75 USD to schedule the exam less than 1 hour in-advance).
5. What score do I need on the final exam to pass the course?
A score of at least 70% on the final exam is necessary to pass the course and receive your certificate.
6. What if I don't pass the final exam?
If you achieve a score of less than 70% on the final exam, one re-test is available to you for a charge of $15. If you require this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
7. How long is the certification valid?
Certificates issued by FoodSafetyTraining.ca are valid for 5 years.
8. After passing the course, when do I get my certificate?
Upon successful completion of the exam, two(2) sizes of Food Handler Certificates – one letter-size and one wallet-size - will be emailed to the student within 24 hours.
9. How long does the online course take to finish?
The course will take approximately 6 hours to complete. You have up to 30 days to finish the course and final exam. If you wish only to recertify, you can proceed directly to the final exam.
10. Are course materials mailed to students?
All course materials are provided online in the course. Nothing needs to be mailed. You can start right away.
11. What are the minimum computer hardware/software requirements needed to run the course?
Any laptop or desktop made in the last 10 years will be sufficient. Again, a webcam and microphone are required to complete the exam. These are usually built into laptops. Tablets (ex. iPads) are not supported at this time.
Not sure if your computer has everything it requires? Click here to test your system
12. What happens if a student is suspected of violating the security of the online exam?
We are alerted of all possible exam security violations by our online exam proctor service. All such cases are reviewed and assessed by FoodSafetyTraining.ca using exam proctor notes and video of the test taker. If after review, it is believed a student either intended to deceive the exam proctor or wilfully ignored exam proctor instructions, the student believed to have offended will not be issued their certificates despite passing the exam. Before such a decision is finalized, the student believed to have offended will be offered a chance to explain the circumstances. The final decision will rest with FoodSafetyTraining.ca. In case-by-case situations, a student may be granted a retest, with the cost of the retest covered by the student. Students are therefore reminded that it is vital to follow all directions of the online exam proctor, including logging out of the exam only when instructed to do so.
13. Will my final exam score be kept confidential?
We respect our student's privacy. Your exam results will only be released to you, any sponsoring organization (if applicable), your local health department, and your provinical Ministry of Health, as required.